|Progress Report February 5, 2013|
1. Dorothy Leavell is named NBCC Chair for 2013: Dorothy is the publisher of two newspapers, Chicago Crusader and the Gary Crusader. She resides in metropolitan Chicago and has been a member of the NBCC since its beginning. Save the date, March 4, 2013, for the official “Changing of the Chair” ceremony in Washington, DC. More details to follow.
2. America’s Small Business Summit: Join NBCC members at America’s Small Business Summit 2013 in Washington, DC to network, learn, and to speak out, as one powerful voice for pro-growth policies and a strong free enterprise system. This three-day event brings together more than 600 chamber leaders and business owners from across the country to hear from business leaders and Washington insiders including Steve Forbes, Linda Alvarado, and Bob Woodward.
NBCC members are invited to register at a discounted rate of $335/person for the full three-day event here. (This rate is only available to NBCC members and not available on the general event website.)
Visit www.uschambersummit.com for the full agenda and list of speakers. Stay tuned for more agenda updates!
3. Redevelopment in Jacksonville: The City of Jacksonville, FL has issued an RFP for an economic development plan for its downtown Brooklyn neighborhood. This will involve over $88 million and will include over 600 new homes. The RFP is due March 27, 2013 and can be downloaded online.
4. Webinar on Africa Business: “Doing Business in Africa” Wednesday, February 13, 2013, 2:30 pm – 5:00 pm “Doing Business in Africa” will provide an overview of the growing opportunities for U.S. companies in the region. As the second largest and second most populous continent, Africa continues to attract business attention. U.S. direct exports to Africa alone were nearly $33 billion in 2011. With growth like this, many US companies are turning their attention to this dynamic continent. Learn how to identify and pursue opportunities in the dynamic African market. Registration is $30. To register online, go to:Location: DC Department of Small and Local Business Development 441 4th St., NW, Room 1107 Washington, DC 20004
5. Breakthrough on Bonding: The CDFI Fund has issued a Bond Guarantee Program interim rule. They are welcoming public input.
6. Save the Date for NBCC Webinar: On March 6 during 2:30 - 3:30PM we will be having a Webinar on the subject of Cash Flow Management. The facilitator and content will be sponsored by VISA. Circle the date and watch for more details. The NBCC will be hosting one webinar per month.
7. Save the Date: Our 21st conference will be held in Palm Beach, Florida at the Four Seasons Hotel July 24-26. We will surely sell out our hotel block—go ahead reserve your room at this ocean front hotel today. See our special hotel prices!