eBlast May 24, 2011
1. Recovering a Wounded Black Chamber: Last week the National Office had a very productive meeting with Kim Burke. We are working with her and the business owners of Raleigh, North Carolina, in picking up the “pieces” after a disastrous experience with the so called “US Black Chamber”. We have accepted them into the federation of the NBCC and they have changed their name to RDC African American Chamber (Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill). “US Black Chamber” board member and treasurer, Brandon Trainer, is now on the run from police and two court venues. Of course Ms. Burke and her associates want the money he has bilked from them to be returned. Please see the picture of the NBCC office welcoming our friends from Raleigh. Soon we will be having a formal and official Kick Off for this new member as well as one for its neighbor in Wilmington, NC. We look forward to all of you meeting them at our 19th Annual Convention.
2. Congressional Testimony: Our Chairman, Arnold Baker, will be testifying before the House Committee on Small Business tomorrow at 1:00PM in Room 2360 of the Rayburn House Office Building via invitation from the Democratic side. The subject is: Promoting Entrepreneurship and Job Creation by Decreasing Duplication at SBA. Black businesses will be well represented by Chairman Baker.
3. Working Embassy Row: This week we are seeing the Ambassadors of Kenya and Botswana plus the US Ambassador to Botswana. Our intentions are to take international trade to new levels. These ambassadors as well as the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Belize and other nations will participate at our upcoming convention in Miami, July 21 – 23, 2011.
4. Farewell to Mr. Barden: On May 19, the successful entrepreneur, Don Barden of Detroit, MI succumbed to lung cancer. He was a trailblazer in the telecom industry as well as gaming. We will certainly miss him and will always remember his legacy. Our tribute.
5. Bags Fly Free: We recommend you fly to Ft. Lauderdale airport (less hassle than Miami airport) on Southwest Airlines when you attend our conference in Miami, July 21-23. Make your hotel reservations at the 5 star Four Seasons Hotel by calling (305) 358-3535.